1. The current U.S national debt is mind-boggling:
That's $154,090 debt per taxpayer. It's enough to send 75 million children to Yale!
2. The national debt clock at http://www.usdebtclock.org is both mesmerizing and terrifying.
It puts a lot of things in life into better perspective...like that pset or paper you’ve got due tomorrow
3. Federal revenue mainly comes from taxes, and at the rate our national debt clock is ticking—tax raises anyone?
No. No. No no no no no.
4. I am not an econ major or anything, but higher debts would also mean higher interest rates on loans.
Student loans - always the struggle
5. With a slow economy, there will also be fewer jobs available when we get out into the workforce…
6. Of course, we love getting inflation!...And everything in Durfee’s becomes even less affordable.
7. But don't be depressed. We can make change!
Up to Yale is raising awareness for the national debt. We have the power to influence Congress to stop raising the debt ceiling that fuels our national deficit.
WRITTEN BY JULIA SHAN
EDITED BY CHERYL XIANG